In generations past, most babies got all their scrub downs in the kitchen sink. These days, plastic or foam tubs give parents a convenient spot to prop floppy newborns and keep more curious older babies contained. While bathtime can be adorable, it can also be tricky—a good tub can make the process a lot easier for parents.
Baby bath time shouldn’t be a stressful time, but you’ve got to make sure you’ve got your bases covered. Safety first! The last thing you want is for your little one to slip and slide in the tub. But with so many bath mats available, how do you choose? We tried to take the guesswork out of bathtime for you by suggesting the best baby bathtub mats for your bub in the tub. From simple and practical to cute and colorful, here are our 10 favorite bath mats for your baby or toddler:
The 10 best baby bathtub mats in 2021
1. INFANTINO 2-in-1 Bath Mat and Storage Basket
Us moms are the ultimate multi-taskers, and this turtle-shaped mat follows the trend. It doubles as a storage basket for bath toys, as well as a bath mat. Made with super strong suction cups, it aims for a safer, slip-free bath time experience. As for design, it’s brightly colored and appealing to a child’s eye, which might encourage the fussiest of bathers to jump in the tub.
When bath time is over, hang up the turtle and pack away your baby’s toys! Take note, though; this little guy can only support lightweight toys. If you decide not to use it for storage, the hook allows for quick hanging after use.
2. Yimobra Original Bath Tub Shower Mat Extra Long
Use the Yimobra Original Bath Tub Shower Mat Extra Long to cover almost your entire bathtub with gripping material. It’s big, durable, and comfortable. Moreover, the mat has a cutout for the drain. What you will love are the soft cushy circles and venting holes.
The unique design prevents mold and adds comfort while suctioning feet to the bottom of the tub. Also, it has 200 suction cups to keep it in place. What’s best about this mat is you can toss the PVC right into the washing machine to give it a bath too! It’s also free of BPA, latex, and phthalate.
3. Nonslip Bathtub Mat Extra Soft Eco Friendly TPE Bath Mat
This eco-friendly bath mat is made from TPE material, a silicon alternative that meets EN71 standards. TPE is phthalate, latex and BPA-free, and has no unpleasant smells or odors, making it perfect for babe. This mat comes in 12 fun colors to choose from, and has a soft, thick texture that is more than .25 inches thick, which is very comfortable to stand or sit on. It has excellent suction and adheres to all smooth surfaces.
This mat comes in two sizes, measuring 30×17” or 35×16” and is machine washable. Pro tip: attach to the shower wall to dry after machine washing or bathing, and your mat will maintain its quality and cleanliness much longer!
4. Munchkin Dandy Dots Children’s Non Slip Safety Bath Mat
This adorable little bath mat has a colorful pattern that the baby may find appealing. The rubber bath mat for babies, which is decorated with several colorful dots, creates a non-slip surface.
The dots are functional since they work as bumps, which provide friction to the baby and prevent sliding. There is an array of suction cups at the base of the mat for maximum grip. If your bathtub has a non-stick coating on its surface, then the suctions cups are unlikely to stick. Some parents noted that the dots tend to peel off over time.
5. TOMY Boon Naked Baby Bath Tub
The Boon Naked is unlike other basin-style baby bathtub because it collapses on one end to create a recline for bathing newborns, and expands back down to transition easily for a baby ready to sit up in the bath.
It has a slip-resistant base and a drain plug, can be used atop the kitchen counter or in the bath for easy fill up and looks modern and sleek. It can be used well into toddlerhood, making it a long-lasting investment. Between bath times, the tub collapses flat and can hang for storage, ideal if you’re sharing a bathroom with baby or if you just don’t want a big baby tub sitting out all the time.
6. Fisher-Price 4-in-1 Sling n Seat Tub
This Fisher-Price tub grows right along with your baby and can be used in a variety of ways: It features a sling to cradle newborns, inserts that will keep babies from slipping and sliding and a sit-me-up support to steady babies in the tub. Once your little one becomes a toddler and has outgrown the seat, remove the insert and he’ll have plenty of room to splash. The tub comes with a squeeze bottle and scoop for washing, and it also has a hook for easy drying and storage. It’s about 30 inches long and weighs less than 5 pounds, so it’s about average size for a baby bathtub.
7. Boon Ripple Bath Mat Blue
Boon is one of those famous companies that offer infant and toddler products. They pay great attention to creating these products to ensure that the product is both safe and comfortable. This helps parents not to worry and use the product without worrying. These bat mats from Boon are a perfect fit for your bathtubs if you have infants or toddlers.
It can be used in baby bathtubs, and they have a great suction ability to stay in place so that your little one never slips while bathing again. The holes present in the mat help circulate the water properly, and it does not allow any mildew to form. You can use this bathtub mat for your children who are six months and above. The material that it is made of is a rubber that is without phthalates and is BPA free. So, your child is safe from toxins.
8. Munchkin Sit and Soak Baby Bath Tub
An upright design makes this tub ideal for families with just a shower or sink for bathing babies and not a traditional bathtub. Rather than fully reclining in the tub, babies sit more upright with the water higher around their bodies and can enjoy splashing around. Parents say the drain is easy to use, and this tub is super convenient when you have to quickly empty and refill it (for instance, if your baby poops in the bath).
9. Blooming Bath Baby Bath
If you’re looking for a great alternative to traditional baby bathtubs, the Blooming Baby Bathtub is worth checking out. Unlike most baby bathtubs – the majority are made from hard plastic, this sink-friendly tub stands out. Shaped like a blooming flower, the soft and cuddly petals help the tub fit into any sink regardless of the size. Its soft towel-like texture also prevents wet and squirmy babies from sliding around during bath time.
10. Angelcare Baby Bath Support
This ergonomically-designed Angelcare Soft Touch is a bath support rather than a tub so it sits directly in your full-sized bath with the water at the desired level. It has a comfy hammock for your baby to lie in made of a mildew-resistant rubber mesh that feels warm to touch, and it gently cradles your baby’s whole body, leaving their legs free to kick away in the water.
Because your baby is completely supported, it allows you to go hands-free. This makes washing easier and bath time more fun for your baby too, as you’ll be able to start some bath play, pour water on their tummy and introduce a few bath toys. It’s also great for nervous first-time parents.
How to choose the best baby Bathtub Mat?
- Suction Cups: First and foremost, let’s start with the key feature of bath mats—suction cups! These are the small half egg shell-shaped cups on the underside of the bath mat. These effectively suck onto the bathtub floor to create a bath mat that stays in place, even when exposed to water. More doesn’t necessarily mean better. You’ll want to check for either many (as in over a hundred) smaller suction cups or a few larger ones for the same effect.
- BPA, Phthalate, And Latex-Free: As parents, we want to keep our babies as safe as possible. However, many of us tend to forget the harmful effects some baby products can have on our little one’s health. For example, plastics containing BPA can be harmful if some of the chemical is ingested. You’ll want to check for a BPA-free bath mat. Latex is a substance that some adults and babies can present allergic reactions to. As some baby bath mats contain this, you’ll want to find one that does not if your baby has an allergy or is particularly sensitive.
- Machine Washable: Mold and mildew are common reasons for throwing a bath tub mat away after a few uses. These undesirable nasties are usually caused by regular exposure to moisture and being left to sit in condensation. To prevent this with your bath mat, you’ll need to clean it regularly. Many bath mats in our review section can go into the washing machine, making this way easier than you could have imagined.
- Correct Size: Remember to measure your bathtub before buying anything. Whether you are using a specially designed baby bathtub or an average family bathtub, you’ll need to make sure you know the measurements you’re working with before making a purchase.
Bathing your baby is a wonderful time to bond. But it’s also a time when you need to have your wits about you. Mixing water, soap, and children could be a recipe for disaster. Keeping your little one out of harm’s way is your number one priority and, as many moms will tell you, a good bath mat acts as a third hand — making for safer tub time.