Mother’s milk is the best source of nutrients for babies. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends that all babies be exclusively breastfed for six months. However, when a mother cannot breastfeed due to medical or practical reasons, a best baby milk powder brand becomes the next option.
Baby milk powder (formula)is artificially made and closest to breast milk in composition. There are various types and brands of baby formula available, making new parents wonder which is the best for their precious little one. Here, we share a list of the best baby milk powder brand that are also popular among parents. But before you pick one or switch to new baby formula, consult the pediatrician.
The 10 best baby milk powder brands
1. Aptamil First Infant Milk Starter
The Aptamil stage 1 infant formula is ideal for infants from birth to six months of age. It contains DHA, ARA, iron, nucleotides, and folic acid. It has balanced and age-appropriate nutrients that help in overall growth and development.
It is an ideal nutritional supplement for children below one year. It provides the infant with iron and hemoglobin forming constituents. The milk powder also helps in the storage and transport of oxidative metabolism, proliferation, and cell growth.
2. Nutrilon Standard 1
Nutrilon 1 Standard is another popular brand of India with a wholesome diet with a combination of proteins, vitamins and minerals. This milk powder makes the bones of the baby stronger and also helps in the development of the brain.
3. Sma Pro First Infant Milk From Birth
Stage 1 From Birth, SMA PRO First Infant milk, is an alternative to breast milk, when baby is not breastfed. Breastfeeding provides the best start for your baby, but if you decide to combination feed or bottle-feed then SMA PRO First Infant Milk is a nutritionally complete breast milk substitute, enriched with Omega 3 (DHA). Contains DHA (as required by the legislation for all infant formula).
4. Kendamil Organic First Infant Milk
Kendamil is one of the longest-running baby formula companies in Europe, founded in 1962 and sourcing fresh dairy from family farms in the famous Lake District (a UNESCO World Heritage site), and other formula ingredients from local suppliers in Somerset, Kent and Yorkshire.
They have a long and consistent history of producing high quality formula, and in 2018 they released their first organic baby formula. And they didn’t cut any corners, providing the first whole cream and palm oil-free infant formula on the European market. The company’s innovation and commitment to quality has resulted in several awards, including the Gold Medal from Monde Selection as the best organic baby formula in the world, and the UK’s Board of Trade Award.
5. Kendamil First Infant Milk
Kendamil is the only company on our list that produces its baby milk formula in Britain, using full cream milk sourced from the Lake District. Plus, there’s no palm oil or GMOs in their recipe so you can rest assured that this is a pure, healthy formula for your little one.
6. HiPP Organic 1
As the name suggests, this formula cleverly combines all important nutrients, vitamins, and minerals to make the baby nutrition complete. Specifically formulated for infants from birth up to 12 months of age, the milk feed contains all-organic ingredients, which means there are no harmful chemicals, toxic pesticides, or additives that might negatively impact your baby’s health.
The Hipp Combiotik comes enriched with DHA acid present in natural breast milk and necessary for normal eyesight and brain development, and it also has an AA aliphatic acid which is important for maintaining correct central nervous system maturation, both of these components being highly important for the first months of baby’s life. Thanks to prebiotic fibres in its content, the formula is easily digestible and stimulates healthy intestinal motility.
With the Hipp organic baby formula, you will rest assured knowing that your little one consumes only perfectly balanced and healthy nutrition from the first day of his or her life.
7. Cow & Gate 3 Growing Up Milk
I have never given a lot of thought to just how many nutrients little ones use up during an average day. Crawling, walking, learning. Just 2 beakers of Cow & Gate growing up milk provides 132% of their Reference Nutrient Intake (RNI) for vitamin D, as well as Omega 3 and iron to support development.
The milk comes in a really easy to use carton with a screw top – SO much easier than the cartons that require lots of faffing about with scissors and always leak when you try to pour. You can also buy in a traditional formula powder. So, we know it’s all good for parents – easy to use and full of the good stuff, but the real test comes in the tasting.
8. Nestlé Nido Milk Powder
Growing bodies need lots of nutritional support to reach their full potential. That’s why NIDO Fortificada is fortified with added vitamins and minerals and specially formulated to help support healthy growth and development. NIDO Fortificada is formulated to help your child get the right nutrients at the right time. Trust the nutritional power of NIDO Fortificada and we’ll help your little ones reach their full potential.
9. NANNYCARE Goats Milk Growing Up Milk
NANNYcare Growing up milk is a goats milk based drink suitable for toddlers from 1-3 years; it helps provide key nutrients and complements your toddler’s healthy, balanced diet and growing needs. Formulations are the result of over twenty years of research and experience in goat milk based nutrition for infants and toddlers. There is a NANNYcare product for each stage of growth and development.
10. Holle Organic Goat Milk Formula
Holle Organic Goat Milk Follow-On Formula 1 is made using over 99% ingredients sourced from organic farmers – e.g. organic goat’s milk. Some of the protein structures in cow’s and goat’s milk are the same. Children with a cow’s milk allergy may thus also not be able to tolerate Holle Organic Goat Milk Follow-On Formula 2. In such cases individual testing should take place; children with pronounced allergies should only be tested in consultation with a pediatrician.
How to choose the best baby milk powder?
While your baby’s specific needs will vary, there are a few helpful guidelines to help you narrow down your search.
- Check in with your pediatrician. He can offer a recommendation for the right type of formula for your baby.
- Consider your baby’s dietary or allergy restrictions. Does your baby have any? If so, ask your doc if your little one requires a special formula.
- Is it iron-fortified? To prevent anemia, the AAP recommends choosing iron-fortified formula for babies who aren’t fully breastfed from birth to age 1.
Baby formula contains a variety of fats, carbohydrates, sodium, vitamins, minerals, water and other nutrients similar to those found in breast milk. While the foundations are usually roughly the same, there are a handful of different types of baby formula to choose from:
- Milk-based baby formula. Although babies under 12 months shouldn’t drink cow’s milk, milk-based baby formulas have been modified for little ones. This type of baby formula works well for the majority of babies — 80 percent of the formula on the market today is cow’s milk-based, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). If your baby is sensitive to lactose, however, you might need to switch to a “sensitive” variation or lactose-free formula.
- Hydrolyzed baby formula. Also called protein hydrolysate–based formula or predigested formula, these formulas contain broken-down (or “predigested”) amino acids, making them easier for baby to digest. Talk to your baby’s pediatrician before switching to a hydrolyzed formula; they tend to be more expensive and may not be necessary for your little one unless she is allergy-prone.
- Organic baby formula. Organic baby formulas are usually milk-based but produced without pesticides, herbicides, antibiotics or growth hormones. Some (but not all) organic formulas are sweetened with sucrose, however, so it’s a good idea to carefully check the labels and run the brand by your pediatrician to make sure it won’t lead to later problems like tooth decay.
Soy-based baby formula. This formula is derived from soybeans and supplemented with vitamins and nutrients. However, the APP recommends that soy-based formula only be used in a few situations, such as if your baby is intolerant to galactose.
- Special formula. Some babies may require special formulas, such as preemies, babies with low birth weight or those with an allergy to lactose. Speak to your doctor before switching to a special formula.
Whether you’re strictly formula-feeding or supplementing formula with breast milk, you want to put the best ingredients in your baby’s tummy for her growth and development. But with so many different options on the market, choosing a baby formula brand can be downright mind-boggling.To help take some of the guesswork out of your search, we’ve rounded up the best baby formula brands that are trusted by both new and seasoned moms.